Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Let's Hear it for the New Covenant!

 I am a little tardy in posting the most recent study notes for the Hebrews study.  For the two people who noticed, my apologies.  We most recently studied chapters seven and eight.  I am finding the time taken to carefully study this epistle to be time very well spent.  This book is all about Jesus.  It is maybe even more weighted toward the person of Jesus than any other part of scripture.  So what could possibly be more satisfying than studying more about the One we love above all others, our Mediator, Prophet, Priest, and King Jesus.  

In chapter seven we plumbed the depths of the mysterious character of Melchizedek and his foreshadowing of Jesus.  We discussed the importance of the complete departure of Jesus' priesthood from the Levitical form, but also the fulfillment of the law brought about by Jesus coming as a priest after the line of Melchizedek.

Chapter eight included a summary of the thoughts of chapter seven and the glorious hope that we have in the new covenant.  The old covenant served its purpose as a tutor and a foreshadowing of heavenly things, but the new covenant is God's everlasting work of redemption for His people through the perfect work of Christ.  I don't think most of us understand the blessing of living under the new covenant.  We certainly need to stop and praise God often for the fact that we are saved forever by the work of Jesus, and I believe much profitable time could be spent in meditation and thanksgiving for the glorious promise under which we live.  How could I keep from singing Your praise. How could I ever say enough, how amazing is Your love.  How could I keep from shouting Your name.  I know I'm loved by the King and it makes my heart want to sing.  (Chris Tomlin)

You can read the study notes by clicking on these two links: Chapter 7 and chapter 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment