Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What is Better Than Life?

Psa 63:3  Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. 

Do we really believe that God's love is better than life?  If we believed the Bible, if we were wholly open to the Spirit's leading and work in our lives, if we have really experienced the life-changing experience of renewal through our Savior Jesus Christ, this statement would ring absolutely true to us.  As I was praying this morning, the words of this Psalm came to my mind, but I was struck by the intensity of the statement.  I was convicted of the fact that too often the meditation of my heart and the words of my mouth speak of my commitment to these passing things around me rather than the infinite worth of knowing Jesus.  How often do we fret, plan, worry, expend our energy, talk about, spend our money, and use up the biggest part of our lives for things that will seem so insignificant when we see Jesus face to face.

I want to live like God's steadfast love is truly better than life.  No matter what blessings or hardships this life may hold, we have a love that is worth far more than anything.  Anything!  That is the love poured out from on high toward us, the love that led Jesus to the cross, bearing our sins and accepting our punishment.  The love that comes into our lives through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, filling us with a love that was previously unattainable and unthinkable, both for God and for our neighbor.  

Another line from a Psalm that I have been thinking about is from the 24th Psalm: 

Psa 24:3  Who shall ascend the hill of the LORD? And who shall stand in his holy place?
Psa 24:4  He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false and does not swear deceitfully.


The phrase "who does not lift up his soul to what is false," has implications in this line of thought.  Day by day we are lifting up our soul.  We are expending our life's energy in pursuit of so many things.  We need to make a living, though we have been told to pray for our daily bread and trust God for it.  And to have meaningful goals and hobbies are great.  But all of these things will pass away.  To lift up my soul, to give more than I ought to give of myself to any of these things that are so temporary, is to betray where my heart really is.  Lord, help us to store up treasures in heaven, rather than clutching at these dust-covered shadows of treasure that are passing away each day.  Help us to truly believe and experience that Your love is better than life.  Help us to see that You are the greatest treasure of all and that You have promised that we will enjoy You and live in Your presence forever if we are among those who are called by Your name.   Help us to embrace the full meaning of Your love for us, and that it truly is better than life.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment