Search This Blog

Monday, April 25, 2011

Do Not Fight Against God

One day driving home from a job around a curve, seeing a road crew repairing the highway and a man with a flag standing right in front of them. I got off the road on the right trying to come to a stop, when Jack the flagman ran in front of my truck thinking I would come back on the road. He landed on the truck hood and slid into the ditch, not moving. I ran around the truck, knelt by him praying “God please help us.” I then ran across the highway through an open door grabbing the nearest phone and called for the hospital’s EMTs. The man lived, but I came home feeling very defeated and angry that God had allowed me to be involved in this accident. It had a devastating effect on me. I was in my shop telling God that I was very upset with Him for not helping me avoid this accident. Suddenly God spoke to me and said, “what if I had let this man die? I heard your prayer and only let two of his leg bones break.”  It was then I realized that fighting against God would get me nowhere except into defeat. It was time for me to get my focus off of the size of my problem and onto the greatness of our God, who specializes in things that are “impossible” to us.
~~~We must stop telling God how big our storm is and start telling our storm how big our God is~~~
In II Chronicles 13 the King Abijah’s 400,000 soldiers was being attacked by King Jereboam’s 800,000 soldiers. Abijah told Jereboam that even though they had more soldiers, they would not succeed against him because the Lord was with Judah. Israel would actually be fighting against God if they fought against Judah.
“…do not fight against the LORD, the God of your ancestors, for you will not succeed.”
II Chronicles 13:12 NLT
King Jereboam had twice the number of soldiers that King Abijah had, but he was still defeated…because God was on Abijah’s side. When will we learn that it never pays to fight against God or the people who belong to Him? God knows how to take our “impossible” circumstances to show His awesome ability to make good come out of what seems devastating at the time.
It is not as if God and Satan have been in pitched battle for thousands of years, with God’s forces sometimes sustaining losses and Satan’s forces sometimes sustaining losses and now, through Jesus Christ’s death, God has finally won…but it might have gone either way. Some people believe that. They might not say it like that, but they believe that when bad things happen it is because Satan is winning and when good things happen God is winning.
But God’s victory has never ever been in jeopardy. Satan has never once won a single battle against God. Though he is against God, Satan has never been a threat to God, his power or his work.
Even Jack, the flagman in my truck accident, became my friend as I visited him while he was healing from bruises and two broken bones. On one of those visits, he asked me, “How can a person know if he is a Christian?” God had won again. God has taught me that it always pays to cooperate with Him.  I have also learned the hard way that it has never paid off once to fight against God.
Al Yoder
4/25/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment