Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

Friend of God

My friend Steve called this morning to check up on how I was doing and to report about his week end in prison. He was there as a part of a ministry that reaches out to prisoners with the message of hope and salvation in Jesus Christ. He reported that the team seemed to really care about the Lord and it paid off in a wonderful response from the incarcerated men. Some testified at the end that they had mainly come for the good food, but that they had found Jesus to be even more meaningful than the meals.  My friend talked about the real life challenges and joys he was experiencing and then we prayed together before hanging up the phone. Friends have a powerful effect on our spiritual journey as well as on our enjoyment of life.

Real friends don’t just do things together. Real friends also enjoy just being together. Real friends don’t just say what they think their friend wants to hear. Real friends say what is really on their heart and mind, even if it’s hard for their friend to hear. A real friend:
--will help you when you are sick
--will help you up the hill when you are sliding down
--will defend you when others speak evil of you
--will believe you are innocent until you say you are guilty
--will say behind your back the same as he says to your face
--will shake your hands in public even when you wear patches on your clothes.

God called Abraham a real friend in at least three Bible passages, first in II Chronicles 20:7, second in Isaiah 41:8, third in James 2:23.  What a powerful thing to have God say about a person. To be called the God of Abraham placed high esteem to him even though God knew his weaknesses. To have God call Abraham his friend was a very high honor.

Israel, you are my servant. I chose you, the family of my friend Abraham.”
(Isaiah 41:8)

There are times when we realize the infinite worth of a true friend, then other times when we are very disrespectful and unappreciative of what our friend’s contribution to our well being. A high school student tells how he saw a group of young people run into Kyle, a new student knocking his books out of his hand. They then kicked his feet out from under him, landing him in the dirt. Kyle’s glasses went flying, landing in the grass about ten feet away.  “I felt sorry for Kyle and went to help him back on his feet and we became the best of friends. For four years they did things together and graduation day arrived. Kyle was valedictorian of his class and was nervous about his speech, so I smacked him on his back and assured him he would be great. Little did I know that he would thank parents, teachers, coaches, but mostly friends who had helped him through the “tough moments” in high school. I listened in disbelief as he went on to tell the story about the first day we had met, and how he had made plans to kill himself that week end. He had cleaned out his locker, so he mother would not need to do that afterward, and was carrying his stuff home.  He then looked at me and said with a little smile, Thankfully I was saved… my friend saved me from doing the unspeakable. It was not until that moment that I realized the powerful impact my small gesture of friendship had with Kyle.”

Never underestimate the power of your actions. One small gesture of kindness can impact that person for the rest of their life.  Now back to the relationship of Abraham and God. God called him friend. Could God call me his friend? Do I look at God as my friend?  Are you a friend of God?  Do you respect Him, honor Him, love Him, and confide in Him?  I can’t think of a higher honor than for it to be said of me, “Alvin…friend of God.” We will never find a more faithful, kind hearted, and loving friend than Jesus. Who else would lay down his life for you?!

Selah…
Al Yoder
3/30/2011

No comments:

Post a Comment